Skip navigation

Visiting European professionals

This application route is no longer available following the UK's exit from the EU

The Register still remains but will no longer be updated or added to.

European professionals must sign a declaration to provide temporary and occasional services in the UK

Professionals established in the European Economic Area and Switzerland, practising in one of the professions we regulate, have made a declaration to provide temporary and occasional services in the UK.

We do not assess the professional knowledge and skills of these professionals against our standards of proficiency, so there are some limitations on how they can practise whilst in the UK.


  • practise on a temporary and occasional basis only;
  • use their home State professional title in a language of that State;
  • practise within the scope of their home State profession; and
  • either renew their declaration or apply for HCPC registration if they want to practise in the UK for more than one year.
  • use any of the designated titles that are protected by the Health Professions Order 2001;
  • practise in the UK on an established basis, for example by taking a full-time permanent position; and
  • perform temporary work (such as agency or locum work) where the job title for the post uses one of those designated titles.
Countries covered by the agreement
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland

This provision is governed by the European Union Regulations 2015 (recognition of professional qualifications), which gives effect in the UK to the EU Professional Qualifications Directive (2005/36/EC). 

Page updated on: 18/06/2019