Skip navigation

Documents you need to provide

You will be asked to upload a number of documents as part of your application

You will be asked to upload each certified document on the relevant page of the form. 

Wherever you see an ‘Add files’ button, please check the page to see whether you need to upload a document. 

As long as they are certified, we accept documents in PDF, JPG or PNG formats

Documents you will be asked for

  • proof of identity document (Section 1): All applicants
  • proof of address document (Section 1): All applicants
  • information to support your character and health declarations (Section 2): Some applicants
  • a qualification certificate (Section 3): Some applicants
  • a return to practice form (Section 3): Some applicants

Certifying your documents

All documents, with the exception of the return to practice form, must be certified.

This means that it has been signed by someone who is a person of standing in the community who can verify that it is a true copy of the original.

If your documents aren’t certified, we’ll contact you to request replacement documents. This will extend the processing time of your application.

How to certify a document

The person certifying a document should endorse the document with the statement “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document seen by me” and sign and date it. They must also include their name, professional title and contact details.

Who can certify a document

The person certifying your documents must be a person of standing in the community. Most individuals who hold positions of professional responsibility are considered a person of standing.

Examples include:

  • Registered health and care professionals
  • Professionals such as lawyers, solicitors, accountants and notaries
  • Teachers and lecturers
  • Bank managers, investment managers, stockbrokers
  • Officers in the British Armed Forces
  • Justices of the Peace, consular officers or other judicial officials
  • Religious officials such as ministers of the Church of England, rabbis, imams and others
  • Members of Parliament

Issues uploading documents

If your document doesn’t upload correctly or displays in a different section, this may signify that you’ve already submitted a UK application for registration using a paper form. You’ll need to contact our Registration team to let them know which of these applications you wish to continue and which should be withdrawn.

You can do this by emailing with your application numbers if you have them.

Once you've checked your eligibility, read our standards and guidance and prepared your certified documents you can apply online
Page updated on: 15/06/2022