We aim to champion equality, diversity and inclusion in all that we do as a regulator
It is important to the HCPC to be a fair and inclusive regulator. We intend that everybody should be equally able to access our services and be treated fairly and supported when doing so.
Our equality, diversity and inclusion policy
In this policy, we set out our legal duties around equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI). We set objectives for developing our practice in this area and explain how we will monitor our progress towards meeting them.
Our EDI objectives fall within the areas that we identified as core to our performance as a regulator in our corporate plan 2018-2020.
This should be read alongside our annual equality, diversity and inclusion action plan, which sets out the practical steps that we plan to take to implement this policy.
Our EDI objectives
1. To adhere to EDI legislation, meet regulatory standards for EDI and make certain that our practice as a regulator is fair, consistent and free from discrimination.
2. To be alert and responsive to EDI issues raised in the course of our work and in the regulatory sector and to manage them with integrity.
3. To appeal to, employ and maintain a diverse HCPC workforce that is reflective of the public we protect.
4. To promote robust professional values in our registrants by setting clear expectations around EDI in our standards, guidance and communications.
5. To set standards for education providers that support fair access to and equality of opportunity within the professions that we regulate.
6. To deliver services, events, consultations, communications and publications that are relevant and accessible to all and that promote diverse engagement with us.
7. To work in partnership with other regulators to explore EDI issues and to ensure that our approach to EDI is contemporary, evolving and rooted in best practice.
8. To be mindful of diversity throughout the four countries, value and respect unique national perspectives and invite UK-wide participation in our work.
9. To ensure that all Council and Committee processes account for EDI considerations and the HCPC EDI action plan undergoes annual Council review.
10. To ensure that our EDI policies and practice are well embedded, clear and open to feedback from employees and stakeholders.
11. To deliver training in EDI to all our staff and partners, tailored where appropriate to their roles, and promote a culture of understanding and inclusivity among staff.
12. To continue to seek EDI data from those we interact with and be proactive in improving how we collect, analyse and apply EDI data in our corporate decision-making.
Our equality, diversity and inclusion action plan
The Equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) action plan 2019 – 2020 sets out specific, practical steps that the HCPC will take to meet the objectives identified in our EDI policy. These objectives fall within the four core functions identified in our Corporate Plan 2018 – 2020.
The action plan is not an exhaustive list or record of all the EDI activities and projects that we will undertake in a given year. The actions therefore reflect only the areas in which there is outstanding work. Business as usual functions are not covered in the action plan.
In addition, each department is encouraged to wholly embed our EDI objectives into their work throughout the year and will therefore undertake further EDI activities and projects alongside those set out in the action plan.
- Policy, Learning material