Following the UK's exit from the EU, the 'visiting European professionals' application route is no longer available. The register of visiting European professionals will remain but will no longer be updated or added to.
What is the visiting European professionals register?
The visiting European professionals on this register have signed a declaration to provide temporary and occasional services in the UK. This allows them to practise on a temporary and occasional basis only. They have a temporary registration number, which is prefixed with TEMP.
If a member of the visiting European professionals register wishes to practise in the UK on an established basis, they need to apply for registration with us.
What can the professionals do?
If you engage a member of the visiting European professionals register to provide temporary or occasional services, you need to know what they can and cannot do.
- practise on a temporary and occasional basis only;
- use their home State professional title in a language of that State;
- practise within the scope of their home State profession; and
- either renew their declaration or apply for HCPC registration if they want to practise in the UK for more than one year.
- use any of the designated titles that are protected by the Health Professions Order 2001;
- practise in the UK on an established basis, for example by taking a full-time permanent position; and
- perform temporary work (such as agency or locum work) where the job title for the post uses one of those designated titles.
The visiting European professionals provision is governed by the European Union Regulations 2015 (recognition of professional qualifications), which gives effect in the UK to the EU Professional Qualifications Directive (2005/36/EC).
Which countries does it apply to?
The countries covered by the visiting European professionals provision are:
- Czech Republic
Get updates relevant for employers of HCPC registrants delivered straight to your inbox
Subscribe to receive HCPC insights for employers by entering your email address below: