Skip navigation

Visiting European professionals

European professionals can sign a declaration to provide temporary and occasional services in the UK, which allows them to practise on a temporary and occasional basis only

This will provide them with a temporary registration number, which is prefixed with TEMP.

If a European professional wishes to practise in the UK on an established basis, they need to apply for registration with us.

If you engage a European professional to provide temporary or occasional services, you need to know what they can and cannot do.

They must:

  • practise on a temporary or occasional basis only;
  • use their home State professional title in a language of that State;
  • practise within the scope of their home State profession; and
  • either renew their declaration or apply for HCPC registration if they want to practise in the UK for more than one year.

They must not:

  • use any protected designated title;
  • perform temporary work (such as agency or locum work) where the job title for the post uses one of the designated titles; or
  • practise in the UK on an established basis, for example by taking a full-time permanent position.

Get updates relevant for employers of HCPC registrants delivered straight to your inbox

Subscribe to Up to Standard by entering your email address below:

More information for employers or managers of health and care professionals is available on our Employer hub
Page updated on: 09/10/2019