Monday 27 March, 2023 , Friday 16 June, 2023
We are seeking feedback on proposed changes to the Standards of conduct, performance and ethics for each of the 15 professions we regulate.
These standards are integral to ensuring high quality professional practice and set out how we expect our registrants to behave.
The purpose of this review is:
- To make any necessary updates to the current Standards that reflect changes to practice.
- To ensure that the current Standards are fit for practice, particularly taking accessibility and relevance into account.
- To gain insight into how we can better communicate the Standards and promote them to ensure they are fully understood by registrants.
- To make any necessary updates to our guidance on social media to keep pace with the developments in the use of social media over the past few years.
We have also reviewed the guidance on social media that accompanies the Standards. The new guidance is included as part of this consultation.
Our proposed revisions fall under five key themes:
- equality diversity and inclusion;
- communication with colleagues, service users and carers;
- duty of candour;
- upskilling and training responsibilities; and
- managing existing health conditions and disabilities in the workplace.
An additional theme – sustainability in health and care – is also discussed in the consultation to explore future revision to the Standards.
This is a consultation; we want to hear the views of our registrants and others with an interest in our work. Your feedback will be used to further develop the Standards, and the guidance on social media before their final publication in September 2023.
The questions we are asking are set out in the consultation document.
We would encourage you to read the background information set out in this document before you answer these questions.
How to respond to the consultation
You can also access the survey via the QR code below.
We encourage responses from all interested parties.
This consultation will close at 23:59 on Friday 16 June 2023.
If you are unable to respond using the online platform, or would like a version in Welsh or in an alternative format, please email email@example.com or write to:
Consultation on standards of conduct, performance and ethics
Policy and Standards Department
Health and Care Professions Council,
Park House, 184-186 Kennington Park Road
London, SE11 4BU
To support the consultation period, we are hosting six workshops. These workshops will explore each key theme of the consultation and gives you an opportunity to ask questions about the revisions we have made. For more information and to sign-up please see our workshops below:
- 10 May 2023, 7.00pm
Equality diversity and inclusion
- 12 May 2023, 5.00pm
Communication with colleagues, service users and carers
- 16 May 2023, 7.00pm
Duty of candour
- 17 May 2023, 12.00pm
Upskilling and training responsibilities
- 18 May 2023, 7.00pm
Managing existing health conditions and disabilities in the workplace
- 22 May 2023, 5.00pm
You can watch recordings of the workshops on the pages above, or via our playlist:
During the pre-consultation period we ran workshops with different stakeholder groups and a survey that any stakeholder could feed into. Through these, we gathered insight into how individuals use the standards, what they think of them, and what changes they may need. If you missed the workshops, you can watch a live recording below.