Skip navigation

Occupational therapists

Professional bodies typically promote the profession, represent their members and provide curriculum frameworks, training and CPD.

Whilst these organisations are separate from the HCPC, their role may be complementary to ours.

Professional bodies for occupational therapists include:

Royal College of Occupational Therapists (RCOT)

RCOT have championed the profession and the people behind it for over 90 years and have over 36,000 members. They strive to help achieve life-changing breakthroughs for their members, for the people they support and for society as a whole.
This includes giving members opportunities to learn, research, teach, practice and continuously improve their knowledge and skills. They also work with healthcare commissioners, political leaders and others to position occupational therapy as a solution at the heart of health and social care.

With RCOT membership you can:

  • access your own CPD portfolio and stay on top of recording your learning and development;
  • have UNISON representation and protection when you need it;
  • receive professional indemnity and public liability insurance of up to £10 million;
  • connect with peers through our regional and specialist communities;
  • get support from our Professional Advisory Service via phone or email;
  • volunteer or drive change within the service you deliver;
  • view member exclusive-access resources, publications and databases to help you with practice, research and more;
  • attend CPD and networking events; and
  • apply for financial awards.

Visit their website >

Other organisations

We work closely with both trade unions and professional bodies. Some professional bodies we work with are themselves trade unions or have close formal links to them. You can find more information about the other organisations we work with on the trade unions section.

Page updated on: 07/03/2024