Skip navigation
Incoming calls: There is currently an issue with receiving calls. We are working on fixing this issue, and we ask that you call back later.

What doesn’t need to be declared

If you are in doubt about whether or not to declare information, you should declare it and allow us to consider it.

All convictions, cautions and other potential character issues or health issues must be declared to the HCPC.

As each matter is assessed on its unique circumstances, there is no list of declarations which will prevent registration or renewal. However, as a general guide, no further action will usually be taken in relation to the following (except where the Head of Fitness to Practise considers otherwise because of exceptional circumstances):

  • managed health conditions;
  • private family or personal disputes or civil matters;
  • minor motoring offences such as parking fines; other fixed penalty offences; or public transport penalty fares;
  • misuse of title concerns depending on the duration of misuse, frequency and seriousness of the misuse;
  • matters already considered by the HCPC unless new information has been provided;
  • a caution or conviction received by a person before or while undertaking a programme of study approved by the HCPC, or any other character matter, which was considered by the education provider as part of its admission procedures and the person was admitted to the programme; or
  • was considered by the education provider under its student fitness to practise process and the person was not excluded from the programme. 

Disciplinary action taken by an employer which is unconnected to the practice of a relevant profession and does not relate to conduct involving:

  • violence;
  • dishonesty;
  • inappropriate sexual behaviour;
  • substance abuse or the possession or supply of drugs; or
  • conduct of a racially motivated, homophobic or similar nature.

This is only an indicative list. The standards of conduct, performance and ethics that relate to managing risk and reporting concerns about the safety of service users still apply. If you are unsure, you should seek advice from your professional body, trade union or employer or seek independent legal advice.

What to do if you are unsure

If after reading this guidance you are still unsure about whether you should tell us about a health condition or provide information about your character, and you believe these may impact on your ability to practise safely, you should tell us anyway and give us as much information as you can. We can then assess whether your condition could affect your ability to practise.

Before you contact us, you can still reach out to your employer, your trade union or your professional body for information and advice. You can find more information about independent support services in our section below.

04082021-Making a character declaration-v2.jpg

Tudalen wedi'i diweddaru ymlaen: 30/07/2021